DESCRIBE YOUR AREA OF EXPERTISE - YOUR INVESTMENT STRATEGY NICHE
* What is your area of expertise, i.e. which investment strategy niche is your specialty?
* What is your Investment Thesis?
* Investors often seek a repeatable investment process, i.e. the strategy works time and time again. Do you have an investment process that’s ‘repeatable’?
* What are the strengths of your investment process?
* What are the weaknesses of your investment process?
* What external opportunities strengthen your marketplace position?
> Macro environment and/or investor marketplace dynamics that support your endeavor.
* What external threats weaken your marketplace position?
> Macro environment and/or investor marketplace dynamics that weaken your endeavor.
DEFINE YOUR COMPETITION
* Who are your competitors, direct and indirect?
* What is their marketing process (as far as you know)?
* What makes you better than each one?
DEFINE YOUR COMPETITIVE EDGE - VALUE PROPOSITION - ‘USP’ (UNIQUE SELLING POINT)
* What is your value proposition, i.e. What’s your competitive edge?
* What makes your firm different from your peers?
* What promise you CAN repeatedly deliver to investors. For example:
> Commitment to educating investors via regular blog or newsletter.
> Well defined risk management system, that’s actually enforced.
> High touch client service with a defined process.
> Competitive fee structure.
DEFINE YOUR IDEAL CLIENT(S)
* What are the characteristics of your existing investors?
* What type of investors have expressed interest, but have not yet invested?
* What type of investors do you expect to attract? Why?
DEFINE YOUR CURRENT MARKETING NEEDS
* What is your greatest need right now in terms of actual marketing tactics?
> For example, do you need a website, a new presentation, etc.?
* How would you like your marketing effort to evolve over time?
* What strategies have you thought about, but do not yet use?
* What are the biggest hurdles you face?
> Lack of time?
> Lack of budget?
> Lack of resources?
DESCRIBE YOUR CURRENT MARKETING EFFORT
* What tactics/materials do you currently use to market your investment program?
> Presentation, white papers, other marketing materials
> Investor communications
* What is your current prospecting strategy?
* What strategies or tactics have been useful so far?
* What CRM do you use?
* Do you have an email marketing strategy?
* What is your compliance review process?